About me and what my blog is about

Friday, February 4, 2011

2011 Rainbow Scrap Challenge- Red- 2/4/2011

Throughout, the last several years. I have spent a considerable amount of time cutting my scraps into Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User's System. Separating them not by color, but, by usable sizes. This system has proven to be very useful in my own personal quilting world. If I wanted to use a pattern that needed 2.5" squares, I just went to the appropriate drawer and pulled out a handful and started sewing.

When I came across soscrappy's scrap challenge I was really excited to join, but found myself debating what I was going to do, about my dilemma! I had lots, of already cut red scraps, but, if I used all the red ones out of my scrap user's system, then what would I do when I needed red in another quilt project. And yes, lol, the thought did occur to me to just go shop from my stash! But, that is easier said than done when you really only want one or two little 2" squares of red fabric that was readily available before without cutting it first!

My solution to my dilemma! I will leave all sizes of my squares, bricks,etc. in the drawers,and instead of using them for the scrap challenge, I'll use my pre-cut strips, and pieces that are larger than 3" X 6" ( I have lots of bricks this size) but, that are still smaller than a fat quarter. I will also use any red scraps that I have in my unsorted drawer. Where I toss trimmings and such in, when I absolutely don't have time to cut them into certain sizes right then. And lol, even leaving the ones I chose to, I still have more red scraps, than I can imagine using up!

I am really glad that soscrappy has this challenge going! It is really giving me some motivation to brainstorm for ideas on more projects that I could also do!

So,today I pulled out the rest of my red scraps and cut some of my white scraps, that I will be using with the reds in my project. I was able to get 40 red and white four patch blocks sewn, and 14 red and white three part blocks done. Next week, I'll cut larger squares out of some of the bigger red scrap pieces.


13 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

I like the way you are using your red scraps and will have to check out Bonnie's Scrap User System. Can't wait to see what you design!

Jane said...

I look forward to seeing the next stage, I imagine this is going to look stunning

Kathy said...

What great swatches so far! It will be a treat to use such nice sized chunks in your red piecing for this month. Happy sewing!!!

Scrap - Happy Quilter (Ila) said...

Thanks ladies! I'll be sewing some of the four patches together today, and starting on the next step as well, which does incorporate some of those nice such chunks of the red fabric!

LuAnn said...

You've got a good start on a red and white project. I'm sort of in the same boat as you - my scraps are sorted by strip width and then just some odd sized strings that are left so I have to either sort out my colors or cut new for my soscrappy challenge project. Can't wait to see what you do with your blocks.

Cattinka said...

I wonder what you will be cutting next, can´t wait to see when you piece the squares.
KATRIN W.

Scrap - Happy Quilter (Ila) said...

LuAnn, sting blocks are really fun and easy! you could make some small blocks ( like 4 or 6 inch) with your strings and place thin red sashing strips in between the string blocks to make a small, but cute wallhanging! Of course, the size would depend on how many red strings you have, lol, you might have more than you think once you start sewing them together into blocks!

Just One More Thing said...

As a beginner - I am amazed at all the time and effort seasoned quilters put into storing their stashes. I wonder if I'll ever need to be that organized.

Scrap - Happy Quilter (Ila) said...

Just One More Thing, I think most quilters' stashes are organized to fit their own personal lifestyles and the way they quilt. I myself make lots of scrap quilts and charity quilts that have lots of colors and sizes of fabrics. So having some of those precut helps me out. Having my stash sorted by colors is nice because to me it makes shopping my stash feel more real,(like going to a quilt store) than having to rummage through stacks of different colors, ( like looking through a rack of cotton shirts at a thrift store) and easier when I'm looking for something specific that will go with the design I'm working with. When I find good sales, I like to buy large quantities of that fabric, especially if I really like it. So in answer to your question, only time,your lifestyle, and how bad of a sting the quilting bee gives you, will tell just how much time will go into organizing your stash. Most quilters happily get stung hard and it never leaves us, lol, that's what happened to me!

Quilter Kathy said...

This is so exciting to see all the wonderful projects developing from the scraps! I'll check in next week and see how it's coming along!

Scrappy quilter said...

Can't wait to see the next stage too.

Ellen said...

You have some wonderful red fabrics - I look forward to seeing what you make with them.

Elly D said...

WOW! I'm intrigued and look forward to seeing how you set these gorgeous little blocks :) Elly