About me and what my blog is about

Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Scrappy Saturday




Today I worked on my red scrap project for the 2011 Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and was able to get several of my red and white four patches sewn into 16 patches, a couple larger all red 4 patches sewn, and part of another block that will be going into the project.

I also had to do some adjustments to the size and cutting measurements for my 2011 UFO Challenge project #10. When I first started this quilt, I had only a picture to go by and no real pattern measurements. I thought I had measured everything correctly, as to what size to cut each piece, etc. I had already made three of the four smaller blocks, which are sewn together to make a bigger block. I didn't remember until it was too late, that, I had cut these blocks down to accommodate the slight errors in the pattern. So today I was going to piece the fourth block together, so I would have one completed block done. But, things weren't matching up right, and then I noticed that there was actually several errors in the cutting directions that I hadn't noticed when I first wrote them down almost a year and a half ago. Unfortunately they were seam allowance errors on the triangle section,wedge sections, and the width the wedge piece should be trimmed down to. So spent most of the evening reworking the pattern and cutting measurements. The hardest part was trying to figure out what size to cut the corner triangles that match up to the wedge shaped piece of the block. But finally got it worked out. So now I am back to square one, oh well, I'd rather have it right, than try to make borders fit to a top that wouldn't ever square up.

The saddest part of the ordeal to me is, that since I found my errors today, and not Thursday, all the strips of pieced 2" X 6" scrap pieces that I had gotten sewn together and trimmed, Thursday are all useless now. Unfortunately they were trimmed to the incorrect size. And my luck, the correct measurement was larger, not smaller!
Oh well, I'm off to bed, its late and I have Church in the morning. I'll upload pics of today's progress tomorrow. Happy Sewing!

No comments: